Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Internal Revenue Service

I went over to the IRS today to see if I could convince them to cut my stimulus check any quicker. . . .

Actually, I got a short tour from a friend who works as a tax lawyer in the Office of Chief Counsel. The exterior is pretty dramatic, but the inside looks a lot like a big high school built in the 50's or 60's - something like a Shawnee Mission East.

The tip you can see over the roof is the Old Post Office tower - not the Washington Monument.

Wikipedia provided the picture and the following facts:
  • This building on the National Mall (1111 Constitution Ave) is the main headquarters building for the IRS.
  • Over 2,000 employees are located in this building - the basement of which was flooded up to 20 feet deep in summer 2006, causing the temporary relocation of all the employees.