Sunday, June 3, 2012

Potty Training Weekend

We found out that Will can't move to the preschool room without being potty trained.  There were definitely some mixed messages involved in this communication, so we're not sure if it is the current teachers, the center, or - the excuse we were given - that it would be too hard for him to go in diapers on their field trips this summer.   There are three kids (including Will) ready to move:  the girl is already trained and will move; Will will not until he is potty trained; and the second boy is leaving daycare for the summer since his mom is a teacher. 

Since we know that Will knows all of the terminology around potty-training, we decided he just lacked motivation.  Enter Thomas and Friends.  Jason had bought up a half dozen individual trains at some great sale after Christmas, so we dug them out of the closet and put them in a fancy bag.  Will has been HIGHLY motivated by the trains.   I have learned he doesn't "go" that often (every 3-4 hours) so he gets one train for each successful pee or poop in the toilet.   I should clarify that it's his Cars potty chair.  We've had poor luck (until tonight) finding a seat that fits our elongated toilets. 

I'm happy to report that after the first "miss" on Saturday morning, he successfully peed in his potty three times AND pooped once.   No diapers during the day, but he did have giant night time diapers, so I think he was saving up some.  We'll have to work on that.  I have to admit I was THRILLED about that bowel movement!  Ah, the tenor of this blog has certainly changed in the past few years! 

The plan is to send him to school in underwear tomorrow.  We went on several errands this weekend - and a trip to the Children's Museum - in underwear and stayed dry, so fingers crossed.  I packed three extra outfits just in case!