William's Cub Scout Tiger den did a field trip one day after school to the local fire house to learn about fire safety and community helpers. Luckily I was able to work from home that day, so I could take him and John didn't have to miss work. I always forget how wiggly and loud a group of kids gets over just having one! It's a ton of fun to see him with his friends though.
Our tour was delayed since the fire engine and three man crew were tending to a call in front of the fire station when we got there! There was a fender bender on the street outside the garage! So we watched that and ran around in the snow for a few minutes before getting cold and retreating back to our cars to await their return.
We got to see their bunk room, TV room/kitchen, and the garage. This unit houses a dive team, so they had a special truck in addition to the regular engine. The boys got to sit up in the fire engine, learn about the various hoses and how much water was onboard (and I learned a lot about using the water tank versus fire hydrants). Central dispatch also called over the address system with a welcome. It was funny because the sirens went off to announce and incoming dispatch, so I thought the tour would be over. Nope just a hello to Pack 125 Tigers!
Each boy got to run this manual pump and try to hit the back of the other fire truck parked in the garage. Luckily we parents were standing far enough away that the errant sprays mostly didn't hit us! It was about 10 degrees that day, so even in the heated garage we were still wearing our coats!
I'm guessing firefighters do a lot of community outreach and programs similar to this for Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts in their community. But it's sure cool to see in person. The three fire fighters who toured us around were great with the boys (and parents) and did an amazing job!