Saturday, August 4, 2018

Summer Camps

William did five weeks of day camps this summer split between two favorites from last summer:  Kids Science Lab and Naper Settlement.  He also got to spend several "partial" weeks at home due to travel that we had that straddled the weekend/week and time at his grandparents.    But I succeeded in my goal of not having him home playing video games 10 hours a day.  With his camps running from 9-3 every day, he only played for 4 hours a day! :-)

Kids Science Lab themes were Explorers,  Make Your Own Boat, and Remote Control Car camp.   Make your own boat wasn't the name but I signed him up for something called "Engineering" that week - so that's what my calendar says - but the camp director suggested he might prefer the more advanced building stuff camp so we all agreed to the switch.  At the end of the week he had this water worthy catamaran!   And at the end of Remote Control car camp, that's what he had!  It rode really smooth across our wood floors when he got it home!  This camp has a pretty generous duct tape and foam board budget!



Naper Settlement themes were Invention Dimension and what ended up being Camp Scrambler.   In what could have been my total nightmare, it turns out I never actually submitted the registration for Naper Settlement back in February when I thought I had.   Their sign up process is a little low tech and requires faxing or mailing in a piece of paper.  Turns out I faxed the paper to their phone number instead of fax number so it didn't go anywhere.  And I never noticed that they didn't take payment on my credit card.  I get so many emails from their mailing list that while I did think it odd that I didn't get a "reminders about what to bring to camp on Monday" email, I was really just too busy to notice.  The guys called me from the check in desk on morning one and I quickly figured out what had happened.   They let him stay that day and we got the enrollment figured out later.   But whatever week I had signed him up for later in the summer was already full so he did the Scrambler session.   Worked out fine.   But seriously, I had this kid's summer nailed down to the minute in February and now I'm having to scramble?!  (Pun intended!)  It all worked out just fine!