History and Math are William's favorite subjects at school. They have a Math Club but it met online last year when he was finally eligible to join, and it wasn't any fun for him. This year it might meet in person, but he decided not to do it. Church youth group meets the same night, so I didn't press it. But when weekend math contests rolled around this year for the 7th and 8th graders, I signed him up for one! He wasn't super excited but his buddy was signed up, too, so he went with it. And luckily that mom drove them in morning, so I only got to see the aftermath at pickup!
I got to the gym a few minutes early to watch the award ceremony. The team had picked the furthest corner of the bleachers to sit....Of course they did! ASCA had two teams there - a mix of 7th and 8th grade boys and girls on each team of 5.
Luckily I got there early, because the very first winner announced was William! He got 5th spot 7th grader in the individual contest. So glad I got there to see it! His buddy got 2nd, and their two teams placed 2nd and 4th! Now he's really high on math contests! :-) He's got another one coming up in January.The math contests are fun for the kids, and they're also a nice way for the local Catholic high schools to bring in prospective students. This competition was at Marmion Academy, which is an all boys school that has its roots as a military school. It's not on our list of schools, but William was impressed with the canon on the football field!