Around all the big adventures and travels, we had some normal, everyday things to celebrate, as well
William had an ELA assignment called Book Report in a Bottle. He decorated a water bottle with the main character of a book he read. And he participated in another math contest. This one at St. Francis High School. He was also one of the highest scorers in the school qualifier for Mathletics and participated in the Regional competition. Unfortunately it was online. And then the competition day ended up being a snow day so he had to do it from our dining room table under odd circumstances (test on his Chromebook with his personal laptop set to Zoom to have eyes on him to proctor him). He did not advance to the state competition.
The 7th Grade Science Fair was the culmination of the entire semester in science class. They do a neat curriculum where the ELA class time is used to write the essay and supporting documents. I had to prod him a bit in building out his foam board. He had a great project idea and results; I just don't think he understood how to make it present next level. He got a Gold but was not one of the projects to advance to state. I had a great time as a judge for the science fair.
On one of those really, really cold Saturdays, his Boy Scout Troop did the Klondike Derby. Always a good time, and made better with snow to push the sleds.
I took a team to an Escape Room after work one day. We made it out of our art heist themed room.
I built a second compost bin, so there could be a rotation. The first compost bin was ready for spring planting!
William received the Tenderfoot Rank in Scouts. His goal is to achieve First Class before 8th grade starts. He should be able to get 2nd Class and 1st Class done with the activities planned for summer camp. I sat on a Board of Review one month and really enjoyed hearing other scouts in his troop discuss their activities for rank advancement. Two were Life Scouts which is the step immediately before Eagle Scout.
Baseball started in April. It's an early season this year (mid-April to first of June). I didn't mind the COVID schedule of the past few years where we played May/June/early July. Fewer rainy, cold days. Good or bad, the worst weather day (cold, sleet, 8 p.m. start time) was one where our neighbor Lori took him so John and I could go to a retirement party for one of my partners. She may not forgive us for that one!
Over Mother's Day weekend, I requested my traditional herb garden planting and a clean out of the garage. This year we bought new containers that sit over the deck railing to keep the herbs out of the bunnies and squirrels' easy access. So far so good. The tomato plants are on the deck, so hopefully they aren't too tempting for the critters.