Sunday, April 9, 2023

Suki

After six years without our own dog, we decided it was time to adopt.   I had early on said no puppies because I didn't want to potty train.  I spent many months following a local German Shepherd rescue for the perfect for us dog and found Suki.   She was estimated at 5 years old, a quiet girl who had some medical conditions (including mild hip dysplasia), but I was envisioning gentle walks and teaching her to swim in the pool.   Alas, it wasn't meant to be.  We knew she had been returned previously by a family that had 5-6 people who were frequently coming and going,  but were told it was because she needed a "quiet" house and routine.  We're very quiet and only 3 so I wasn't concerned about that.   Not sure whether this was the same behavior she exhibited there, but she was very protective of her kennel and then became protective of William and aggressive toward John.    After a week, we had to return her to her foster, as we didn't feel it would be safe for us to keep her and work through her guarding.   I did see later that she was adopted by a rural couple who had 2 other GSDs and looked like she was fitting in really well.