Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve was the first day I really had time to bake, and I was so excited to try my mom's family's recipe for apricot rolls.  This is a recipe my Aunt Pam and Grandma Judy made each Christmas, and I had never attempted.  I got the recipe from my aunt and was three rolls in before realizing my yeast was expired.   Actually after I made 3 (one batch), I didn't like the rise on the dough and decided to make another batch.   I thought I was just rushed with the first trying to get out of the house.  Instead, I discovered after the second also wasn't as fluffy as I was expecting that my yeast was very expired.  The final batch turned out good enough to eat and to share, but I look forward to perfecting it next year!


I was rushing to finish the dough because we wanted to get to Christkindlmarket before the crowds hit. This year we tried the suburban one in Aurora and it was decent.   Not as cute or festive as Chicago, but very manageable commute, parking and crowds.   We shared a raclette, some gluwein, candied pecans and did some shopping.   It was a very pleasant, and quick, adventure.  





Back at home I decorated the cooled rolls so I could deliver one after mass.   I also put up the new owl ornament and the amazing nativity scene that John picked out.  Definitely a new favorite Christmas decoration due to its beauty and story.




We went to the Children's Mass at 4 p.m. to see the live action Christmas story.   The baby was so tiny!  But the real stars of the show were the shepherds and their sheep!  It's nice to be home for Christmas and attend this mass.


When we got home, everyone got their matching Christmas pajamas.  Even Lucy was in on it!  She didn't love the production of getting her hoodie on, but she enjoyed napping in it!






We enjoyed our traditional Christmas Eve charcuterie and watched a movie together.   I had to get a few pictures of the house and the luminaries our block sets up. Apparently this is a long standing tradition, but it has lost some luster as many people travel and don't do them.  But our immediate neighbors and the house across the street all had them, so we had a nice little run.