Monday, September 1, 2008

Oreo Cookie Cake

I tore this recipe out of a Kraft Foods magazine last year and finally made it this weekend for a Labor Day lunch with friends. Fantastic and delicious - and super easy!

Ingredients:

1 box of devil's food cake mix
1 pkg reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups Cool Whip Light, thawed
12 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed

Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on the box - baking in two round cake pans. I always substitute apple sauce for the oil in my baked goods and it makes them super moist and a little healthier! I actually noticed this time that there were instructions on the box to do that and slightly alter the water and cooking time.

Beat cream cheese and sugar together until well blended. I used slightly less than the 1/2 cup of sugar that is called for - hey, every little calorie reduction helps right? Once those are blended, fold in the Cool Whip and Oreos.

If you're not ready to assemble and eat promptly, refrigerate the filling. I made the cake and the filling both a day ahead and then assembled as we were walking out the door.

To assemble your Oreo Cookie Cake, place one of the cake rounds on a plate, cover with all of the filling and place the second cake on top! Easy, easy, easy!

The official recipe also called for a chocolate glaze on top of the cake, but I thought that was over the top and didn't do it.