Sunday, September 21, 2008

Rachel's Wild Adventures

You all know how much I love Wikipedia these days. Well, I was looking for pictures for this post and found an interesting fact:

"The White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus), also known as the Virginia deer, or simply as the whitetail, is a medium-sized deer found throughout most of the continental United States, southern Canada, Mexico, Central America, northern portions of South America as far south as Peru, and some countries in Europe. "

Well how about that! It's called the Virginia deer! Now I know why we have them in our yard for Rachel to chase when I am half (mostly) asleep in the mornings and don't have the energy to hold her leash when she gives chase. . . .Luckily, deer run faster than Rachel. We've seen them several times here at our home and at the park, so she's given chase to several but never gets far. I obviously didn't have my camera on me (or my eyes open) on our morning bathroom break, but here's a representative photo. I don't think our deer had horns of any sort, but I mostly saw it from the back end as it headed down to the creek. This is probably a picture of it meeting up with its friends.

Whoa! Anyone else see that funny little dog up there?

Update (9/23/08): Rachel now takes us straight to the far back corner of the yard each time we're out - hoping to see her deer friend. We did see him about 6 p.m. last night, which got her very excited! No such luck this morning.