Thursday, February 12, 2009

26 Weeks

This picture was taken a few days early, but I needed a picture for my post about our hospital tour earlier this week. These are the same slacks from the 24 week picture with one of my non-maternity shirts that stretches! I don't think I look this big when I look in the mirror, so I'm starting to wonder if I stand funny for the picture?! If this is 26 weeks, wait for 36 weeks! Ha!

We joined a group of 5 other couples for a tour of the labor/delivery area and maternity floor. I wasn't sure of the set-up until we got there, but there are in fact, two different rooms. You stay in the first room for labor/delivery/recovery (about 2 hours postpartum) and then get transferred up to the maternity ward for the rest of your stay. We got to peak at the nursery when we were up on the maternity floor. There was only one little guy in there, and he was under the bilirubin lamps and didn't look too happy about it.

We got a chance to ask questions about hospital policies and procedures (e.g. what type of fetal monitoring do they require; how long can the baby stay after delivery before tests and shots) and get a feel for the facility. Everything seemed nice and very professional. Seeing the little fella in the nursery made me super excited about our own little guy arriving!!

The only real surprise for me was one of their security measures (although I have since confirmed that Olathe Medical Center does this as well): after the umbilical cord is cut, a sensor tag is connected to the baby's stump. This tag looks exactly like the ones on clothes at the mall. So, if the baby is carried or wheeled too close to an external door, the alarm will sound - just like someone stealing a sweater from Banana Republic!


This second picture is a front view of me last night. I just want to have a record for myself that I still look pretty normal from the front side, regardless of the gigantic belly in the side view top picture! :-)