Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Baking

Ryan and I did our traditional holiday baking on Saturday following our Grandma Leona's recipes for peppernuts and popcorn balls.  I was very concerned about the pink shade of the caramel syrup while it was cooking, but it turned out nicely.  One year we made green ones instead of pink ones, but it just didn't feel right. . . . I'm actually getting a good feel finally about those popcorn balls.  I barely have to watch the candy thermometer now that we've made them a half dozen times.  It gets a little less frantic each year!

Earlier in the day Will and I tried out a recipe that a friend posted on Facebook for Nutella cookies.   We're definitely going to make those again.  Next time I'll look for the Special Dark Cocoa!

We also had an early Christmas with Jason's parents.   Will LOVED that Grandma Hilary transformed a large cardboard box (that Jason was trying to throw away!) into a racecar - complete with door, steering wheel, "trunk," and vanity plates.  I'll have to get a picture.  It's amazing what scissors, crayons, and imagination can make!  He also made all of his guests play soccer with him.  I think Will's soccer is why I lost 2 pounds last week!  It certainly wasn't because of the sweets!