Yesterday Will and I went to Holiday Magic at the Brookfield Zoo. This is usually an event that I call Brrrr at the Zoo, but it was 60 degrees yesterday!
Everything turned out at planned: Will fell asleep on the car ride there for his afternoon nap; we got to see our favorite animals before dark (giraffes - including a new baby!, polar bears, dolphins, and gorillas) then enjoyed the beautiful lights before it got too late. We also loved the model train exhibit.
Amazingly, we were home, showered and in bed by 8:30! I am really thrilled with how it all worked out.
The only part of our day that wasn't planned was that Will opened up his car door as we were driving through Chicago. . . .It was dark (around 6 p.m.) and the overhead lights suddenly turned on. I couldn't tell that at first what it was, but the dashboard indicator showed it was his door. I pulled over into a random driveway to get out and reclose his door. My doors automatically lock, but I learned they also unlock when you pull on the door handle! I guess this is why people have child safety locks on their back doors? I had no idea he could reach the handle when he was buckled in his car seat. I've now learned the disadvantage of the compact car. Now I need to pull out the owner's manual and figure out how to "lock" the back doors!