Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring and Other Fun Stuff

I'm way behind on blogging, so I'll present the spring highlights:

Our neighbor needed bed rails for her three year old transitioning to a big kid bed, so it was the perfect excuse to finally take them off ours.   No problems with falling out of bed, but strangely, I think it makes the bed feel smaller.   Probably because when I'm in there resting with him for a few minutes, I don't have the mesh rail holding me in!  I just realize his awesome sports comforter is covered up in these pictures.  It's pretty lightweight and this was winter, so we had the extra blankets on still.

Although William didn't have any problems sleeping in the rail-free bed, he did decide he would rather create a "hang out spot" one Friday night in our bedroom closet.   I'm a good sport (or was already in bed and had no energy to protest), so he got to create a campsite and spend Friday and Saturday nights sleeping in the closet.   He made himself some pretty comfy digs (including that pillow mattress and moved in all of his favorite books, stuffed animals, some plastic power tool toys. . . .  I joked with John that he was ready for dorm room life.   He slept well both nights, but I did clean it out and make him go back to his own room for the school night.

 
Soccer is underway.  This is the first time he has played park district sports with his schoolmates.  They practice one night per week and have games on Saturdays.   The first practice was cancelled due to wet fields from melting snow.   He's doing alright but isn't as confident or aggressive as when he played indoors.   There are also several of his buddies on the team, and they get easily distracted being goofy with each other.  This week coach brought juice boxes for after the game, and he said it was his trophy!  He was so excited!




 Legos:  we play with them a lot.  He creates the models from the sets and then (except for the AT-AT) cannibalizes parts to make new things.  I'm very impressed with the creativity.  If you zoom in you can see the ecclectic mix of mini-figures hitching a ride.  I've decided this is how boys play with dolls.   He also frequently draws Lego robots or uses them as writing examples  The worksheet below translates as I like to play Legos with my dad and my mom and my uncle.  

Another trip to the dentist where he was an excellent patient. I thought he may have worn that shirt to the dentist last year, so I wanted to find it and link to it to see how much his clothes have shrunk!  We were using up the rest of these smaller jeans and just throwing them away when the knees wore out.  The new, larger size have now been fully worked into the rotation.  He asked me to take the picture of him wearing the sunglasses "like a mustache."


We re-discovered Red Robin burger restaurant after getting a gift card for Christmas.  It's right by our house, so we have been there twice now.   William almost likes the wait so he can draw with chalk.  I think the food is at least as good as our other favorite -- Buffalo Wild Wings --  but I keep ordering gross drinks.  I think I'll just have to get a bottled beer next time.  Their margarita was horrible!





Spring break was the week leading up to Easter.  The guys went to John's parents for a few days, and the other days William went to YMCA camp.  I just worked.   This was my 14th winter/spring busy season.   I'd say it was probably one of the top 5 "best" as far as not too many hours and not too stressful.   Maybe I'm just getting tougher!  I definitely know I'm getting older, so it's probably just that the "kids" are the ones doing the late hours now.
We reached an important milestone for kindergarten.  This is the last (giant) batch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for school lunches.  I think this was 32 sandwiches.  I've never made a batch this big, but I regularly do two loaves of regular white bread at once (18 sandwiches) and notices we had a ton of the sandwich rounds in the freezer.  This summer, we will take our break from sandwiches since he will eat at daycare.  I guess we'll discuss in August whether he wants to buy lunch or keep up with the pb&j!