I can't believe what a big boy lives in my house now! We had a lot of fun leading up to his birthday. A few weeks in advance we hit up the party store to figure out the birthday party theme. He liked the goody bag trinkets of a Power Rangers cup, TMNT slime, and a Transformer skate board. When we finally went to Target to pick out a cake, they only had Transformers and it wasn't very cool. He did love the Star Wars cake with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker toys with light up lightsabers, so he picked that and we changed the theme. We made our annual trip to the mall for birthday pictures and a ride on the carousel. My son is an expert negotiator, so we also had a Baskin-Robbins smoothie as dessert AND he got to pick an early birthday gift: Build-a-Bear. Iron Bear is his new BFF and has been a great addition to the family. I just love that the little boy that seems so mature someday is a little boy who loves to cuddle his teddy bear at night.
On his actual birthday, we had donuts for breakfast and let him open the toys from us before school. We gave him a bigger tennis racquet, a set of flashlights, and a Halo toy, which he has been coveting since Christmas. Of course he wanted to stay home to assemble his Halo set, but I promised him I would pick him up from YMCA early.
I worked from home for the day and got to walk William to school and be the PTA greeter. All birthday kids have their name called in morning announcements to come get a sticker and pencil from the principal. I was very excited to get to see him at school. He was excited to see me, too!
After school, Grandpa Roger and Grandma Joni arrived from their long drive and brought another round of gifts. More Halo! And another Nerf gun! Yay!
After dinner at William's choice (Buffalo Wild Wings), we had birthday cupcakes and sang Happy Birthday. What a great day with our 6-year old!