Sunday, August 7, 2016

New York in Summer

From Las Vegas, I flew directly to New York for a client meeting and to spend time with my brother.   I flew into Newark and couldn't believe the traffic back up in the Holland Tunnel at 1 a.m.!  Luckily my meetings weren't until lunch time, so I got to sleep in a bit, and I woke up to a beautiful day in lower Manhattan with views of Freedom Tower and the river (with New Jersey behind). 
Thursday I had meetings and went with my clients to a New York Yankees game.  It was the final game of the Subway Series against the Mets, and the Mets won 4-0.   Since many of the people with us were Mets fans that worked out just fine!   After many years of watching Freedom Tour being built from my view from hotel rooms, I finally went to tour at Ground Zero. The day was gorgeous and the tribute was beautiful.   The foundation of each of the towers is a water fall/reflecting pool.  Around the outside are the names of all of the 9/11 victims.  They are grouped according to relationships:  first responders from the same unit; employees from the same company in that tower; the victims from the Pentagon; the victims from the Pennsylvania plane.   I walked the grounds but did not go inside of the museum.

 
 
Later in the day I ventured to Midtown with my giant carryon bag (I packed for 6 days in an overstuffed carryon) to meet up with Ryan at his office.  Since I was lugging that bag, we decided to just head to Queens to his condo and decide next steps from there.  His unit has a great balcony and building a beautiful rooftop from which I snapped a lot of pictures.  He and Tarek took me out for a delicious Greek dinner and gourmet ice cream in the neighborhood.   I continued my culinary quest on Saturday morning with a Brooklyn bagel (plan with bacon, honey, sriracha schmear.   We rode bikes to the East River to eat them.   It was a lovely first visit to their new home in New York!