Day 15:
We ate all the carbs. The End.
(Post script: the boy signed up to do his first merit badge and obviously picked Cooking. I mean, he made his own chocolate sauce to decorate that cookie....I just read the requirements. It's 21 things that have very little to do with getting food plated. He's in for a challenge!)
Day 16:
This is feeling so not temporary. I’m going to be sitting at the dining room table a lot longer. Finally got the cords wrapped and tidy. Vacuumed the floor. It looked like someone had eaten 3 meals a day in there for a week!
We emptied the boy’s room in anticipation of a new paint job. He’s nearly 11. Seemed time to swap out the walls that came with the house.
Of course our real joy can be found spending time in the kitchen together. We made tacos and crafted our own cocktails. Traditional margarita for me. Fresh clementine, limeade, Sprite and cherry 🍒 for him.
Day 17:
I had three breakfasts but called one lunch. William made himself pancakes and scrambled eggs for his lunch and shared a pancake with me. The Duck Project is his spring break assignments. Food feels like an appropriate first journal entry.
We took our first steps onto the patio and posed for a selfie on the wall. William rode his bike through a hidden puddle and got splattered in mud up his back. I was thrilled to be reminded he’s a kid.
Day 18: (and yes I always have to go back and check yesterday’s and edit to add more days....)
Today was a good day. Spring break is much less stressful than school days. The boy can play video games upstairs except when he materializes in the kitchen to whip himself up brunch (which becomes my lunch). I get the main floor as my office and tax command center uninterrupted. Hubs can do his pre-shelter in place home office gig.
We did take a little break for a lunchtime walk. In full dinosaur costume. Because that’s what you do on Quarantine-o-ween. Maintaining a driveway length distance between any fellow dinos, of course.
Day 19:
Wow, 19? Today is Wednesday but all day I thought it was Thursday. Thankfully it wasn’t. I need all the days right now.
Made the boy a to do list. He sort of did it. Cleaning the kitchen was key. He’s a great little chef but doesn’t clean up his messes well so he learned how to clean the stovetop today.
This evening I went for a walk to grab some books from a neighbor’s porch. Enjoyed all the silly yard art on display.
My Binny’s order is still not resolved so I got creative with my one hand ingredients. Gin, limeade and blood orange Pellegrino were a tasty combo for a Wednesday evening cocktail. 😋. Our Green Chef boxes continue to come so it paired with red curry chicken and roasted broccoli stir fry.
Got in two Episodes of Tiger King last night. John cut us off before we got too far down the Carol killed her husband rabbit hole. I hope my inbox stays empty so I can watch episode 3 before bed.....
Day 20:
For the second day in a row, the boy sent mail. He’s an old pro at stamps and the mailbox now. Maybe next week we’ll talk about how to push numbers to dial a phone instead of just clicking a name.
Work included a Zoom happy hour and although we talked tax (of course we would!) we also talked life and what it would be like to be home after the deadline. And whose mom was a good cook.
For dinner this mom ordered Chipotle. I’ll freely admit it was the FB ad for free delivery and free queso that did it for me. I’ve been wanting to try the new queso after the disaster than was the last one. This was solid. A little too thick but a nice kick melted jack flavor.
We ate outside to enjoy the sunshine and admire our patio. The concrete guys sealed it today so we get the green light to use it starting tomorrow. I’m promised a grilled dinner! We will still be in our camp chairs unless I didn’t throw away the cushions to our dining set. 🤔
Flowers are growing. I think I planted those from an Easter gift from my brother. John thinks they came with the house. Let’s go with my version.
Day 21:
I missed the 2 when typing and startled myself when I saw just a 1.....to be as naive as I was on day 1 would sure be something. But I’d rather move forward.
As I lay in bed last night I did one last check on my phone and found out that the tour company for our summer vacation has cancelled our WWII history tour in France and Germany. No departures before July 1. We were June 26. The boy - and all of us - are bummed. We booked the trip more than a year ago and have been eagerly awaiting it. I was most looking forward to the boy charming all the grandpas on the tour with the very incredibly specific details he knows about the war.
John ventures out to get groceries. He found all but one thing we needed/wanted at one store. He said it wasn’t horrible out; just that he that he doesn’t like that grocery store because he doesn’t know where they keep stuff so it makes him slow.
Since he got home so late we just enjoyed some pizza as the inaugural meal on the patio. Tomorrow we will grill a real meal.