Friday, April 17, 2020

Stay at Home: Days 29-35

Day 29:
I read a chapter of a book in the sunshine. And then another chapter on my couch with my eyes closed.  William got fancy with his protein shake. I got fancy with shrimp tacos and a margarita. We finished painting William’s bedroom - switching out mint green to Lazy Gray. Here is the finished shelf he assembled for Star Wars Lego display.


Day 30:
Happy Easter!
For the 11th year Ducky made an appearance filled with candy. We never got around to an egg hunt but that Easter bunny did a drive thru the neighborhood.
The house smelled good all morning with bacon and pie and cookies. We ate brunch and watched mass and then started a game of Monopoly. But no one has any monopolies yet except the boy on the cheap brown properties so we took a break from what might be a never ending game.
More yard work for the adults and more room organizing for the boy as he puts his things just so in his repainted room. He is enjoying the extra floor space since neither his Lego table or desk table have been put back yet. But he says he wants them back so that’s tomorrow’s project.











Day 31:
No one ever says "TGIM!" Today was a school holiday for Easter Monday, but it's been as much/more school work as any other day as the boy had to catch up on all the things he didn't finish last week, and I had to figure out how to get the photos of his work from my phone onto his school Chromebook. Finally had to get the teacher to loop in the Technology teacher.
I'm working hard on my guidance counselor skills in addition to school teacher skills. It's hard.
In other news, it has warmed up to 43 degrees with a feels like of 34, so maybe I can try my walk again now that it's a heat wave! The sunshine and flowers out my window are so deceptively beautiful that I didn't pack my ear warmer the first time and abandoned.
I got to tell people on my morning Zoom calls that, yet again, I'd be on mute due to the jackhammering of concrete. This is the third time in three weeks and they're starting to get suspicious! But, hey, everyone on the block likes my concrete guys and is hiring them. They're doing great business and our curb appeal is going to be amazing!

Day 32: Tax Day Eve is usually a day I look forward to. I’ll be finally getting to spend time at home, without the late night train or Uber or drives home from the office. The chance to see my family in daylight hours. After 19 busy seasons, this may have been the weirdest.
I was bankrupted in Monopoly. The boy gave me a hug as he took my last dollar. I hope that will always be the case.



Day 33:
April 15th finally.
Woke up to snow. Finished with Taco Tuesday (it’s Wednesday). In the middle finished my work and hosted a Zoom April 15th party.
Tomorrow I’m going to sleep in and take a vacation day (until my first call at 930 am).




Day 34:
My usual post busy season spa day was replaced with conference calls and webcasts, grading algebra homework, assisting Kid Chef with his tear and share pizza rolls, and supervising the unpacking and setup of the outdoor furniture.
Super excited about that last bit. We set it all up, took photos, shared a drink and then hauled all the cushions inside since snow is coming overnight.
I wanted BWW BOGO boneless delivery but we are flush on groceries so I whipped up my own buffalo sauce to go with chicken strips from my freezer and a generous serving of Mac n cheese.
As we caught up on the week during our patio drink, I asked hubs if Target was out of toilet paper on his most recent shopping trip or if he forgot to look for it. He realized as we were talking that he bought it and never loaded it into the car in the parking lot. Hope some lucky soul hit the jackpot and found it in the cart corral. 
  

  



Day 35:
It snowed. A lot. And then it melted.
But then came the downpour: the governor announced this afternoon that schools will stay closed the rest of the year. I’m not surprised but still sad. We really have loved the routine of his new school this year. And it’s been hard to find a new routine at home. At least he’s in the same school for 6th grade and he can’t still build memories and traditions over the next 3 years.