Thursday, February 9, 2023

Math Contests and Scholastic Bowl

All Saints has a long tradition of participating in the local "math circuit."  There are a few local high schools that host math competitions during the late fall/winter for the 7th and 8th graders.   I think it's part academic exercise, part recruiting tool.  I'm good with both!  William was able to participate in all three this year:  Montini High School, Marmion Academy and St. Francis High School.  Below is the team and sponsors pictured at the Francis competition. 



Separately, there is a parent that hosts "Math Club" that is affiliated with the MATHCOUNTS organization.  The school administers the local exams and this parent hosts the kids for several months of Sunday evening practices to get ready for the regional competition, which was held virtually last year due to a snow day (boo!) and this year is at Benet Academy (William's high school).   This parent's boys have advanced to the state and even once the national level, and so is really invested in keeping the program alive.  I really like that William and a group of kids that like math can hang out and eat pizza together and learn logic problems throughout the fall and winter while John and I do the grocery shopping or whatever other errands we have to wrap the weekend!  For the past two years he has made it to regionals, but we don't expect him to advance to state, so tomorrow should be the end of the math team season.


For the first time in a number of years, the school participated in Scholastic Bowl, which I was really excited to see!  I was thinking of "Scholar's Bowl" and the buzzer rounds of my youth, but this ended up being a written test competition.   It was also hosted at Benet, so at least the location was convenient and familiar.   William's team placed 1st overall for 7th/8th and several of the other All Saints teams placed first in specific subjects like Math or Science.   So a nice outing!    When we went to Benet's Open House the next weekend, we learned they do have a traditional Scholar's Bowl team, and I really hope William chooses to participate!