Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Laughing on the Inside

Several ordinary events made me smile Friday. I might even say they made me laugh; but only on the inside so I wouldn't cause a scene!

I went to Cosi to pick up a late lunch and the place was pretty empty. One young woman who was in line was apparently so hungry already that she was noshing on a bag of Funyans while she ordered a cheese flatbread pizza. I heard her tell the sandwich/pizza maker that she was getting cheese because she was fasting until 6 p.m. I do realize it's Lent and am very familiar with Fish Stick Friday, but I've never heard it referred to as fasting. Having observed more traditional forms of fasting, I got quite the chuckle out of the idea that Funyans and cheese pizza were a sacrifice.

As I was riding the elevator down to the lobby to leave for Cosi, there was one other person in the elevator. And she was wearing glossy cordovan penny loafers with pennies in the slit. I was thrilled to have noticed them! I desperately wanted that EXACT pair of shoes for years! I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly which years considering it was something that I coveted for so long, but I feel like it's been quite awhile now. . . But, being the practical lawyer or accountant that she was, those shoes were in tip-top shape for casual Friday!