Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Potomac Primary

Early results are in and Barack Obama is heading to a resounding win in Virginia. The McCain-Huckabee vote is nearly tied. (Update: McCain wins)

The Obama lead -- even without our votes -- isn't particularly surprising considering all the enthusiastic sign wavers that I've seen out the past few weeks. He's certainly the popular pick right now. I think he's intriguing but he's not my favorite choice for this year. (I should qualify that I am just assuming Jason did not pick Obama; I didn't actually ask him how he voted.)

I was surprised to find that there weren't any other voters in line when we checked in even though we didn't arrive until 8:15. As I chatted with a poll worker for a few minutes afterwards (we were lingering to enjoy the warmth before walking back home), she said there had been a steady turnout but not the rush she was expecting.

One interesting part of Virginia voting: you don't pick a party affiliation when you register. In a primary, you just tell the poll worker at check-in which ballot you want and that's the one they pull up on the touch-screen at the voting machine. The voting machines are identical to JoCo.