Last night I was lucky enough to eat dinner at One Magnificent Mile at Spiaggia. It was a foggy day and night, so we didn't get to enjoy the lake view, but I did enjoy a FABULOUS foodie dinner. My courses (as copied from the restaurant's web site):
PIATTO TIPICO D’EMILIA ROMAGNA
8 year Parmigiano Reggiano mousse with Prosciutto di Parma, mortadella, pancetta and Acetaia San Giacomo Balsamico Tradizionale Oro
(Translation: four bites of different stages of "ham and cheese")
RAVIOLETTO DI CRESCENZA CON FUNGHI E TARTUFI NERI
Crescenza cheese filled pasta with abalone and beech mushrooms and Savini black truffles
(Translation: One big ravioli stuffed with creamy cheese topped with sliced fancy mushrooms)
TAGLIATA DI MANZO CON CODA DI BUE
Wood-grilled prime strip loin with braised oxtail, hedgehog mushrooms, dandelion greens and Acetaia San Giacomo gold balsamic
(Translation: Six bites of strip steak sitting on shredded beef and sauteed mushrooms with three little dots of potent balsamic reduction for dipping)
TORTA AL MASCARPONE E CAFFE
Illy espresso and mascarpone cheese torte with caramel and Valrhona chocolate
(Translation: Thin chocolate oval wall holding in a Tiramisu-like creation)
My translations are not very fancy compared to the Italian! I felt like I was a judge on Iron Chef America, because the presentation was so lovely! My favorites were the the ravioletto and the dessert. The ravioletto had a luxurious filling that just melted in my mouth, and the mushrooms were very flavorful, yet not overwhelming to the cheese and delicate pasta. The dessert - which I was expecting to be like cheesecake, was in fact a tiramisu, which I also love. The marscarpone was so creamy and as you dug your spoon down into the shell, you uncovered the espresso and caramel flavors, which were so wonderful!
One of my co-workers (yes, this was a work dinner for a client in town) said that this is Obama's favorite restaurant. I can see why!