Today marks Will's 2 year, 2 month, 2 week and 2 day birthday! We had a great day because we had nothing that had to be done today; we didn't even go swimming. I had flirted with the idea of a trip to the zoo, but I quickly vetoed it. We're all super tired this week because Jason was out of town for work, and I'm in the middle of another tax season. So, we watched golf on TV, made small trips to Target and Sam's Club, fed the ducks in our neighborhood, and played with our own toys at home.
So what is 2-2-2-2 year old Will up to?
- Hair: he's finally ready for a real haircut! Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks before we actually get around to going somewhere to do that.
- Sleeping: we are struggling with getting him to bed early enough. We all have so much fun playing - and get such a late start after work each day - that he's getting to bed at 8 or after instead of the 7:30ish we should be shooting for. A lot of time gets eaten up by a nightly bath, as well, since sweaty summer days require a daily bath.
- Counting: he can rattle off 1-10 (and sometimes does some past that but I don't recognized the words as numbers). He does not correlate those numbers to the number of items or a picture of the number, but he's good at reciting them! A great start!
- Potty training: he loves to sit on his "big potty" (Cars themed) and "little potty" (Baby Bjorn) which we have sitting in his bedroom closet. Not a single drop has ever landed in a potty, but he knows the motions of taking off his pants and diaper and sitting on it. He does it at school 2 or 3 times a day, as well (they have kid sized toilets next to their room). This week he told me twice that he pooped ("I poo, too, Mommy!") and asked me to change his diaper (by laying down on his boppy). However, in both cases he actually just needed to poop, so shortly after I got his new diaper on, he filled it up! Ironically, he didn't admit to having pooped after the fact.
- Talking: all the time, about everything! And he usually repeats things we say. We understand his words well, but the rest of the world needs translation. At school on Tuesday he was telling his teacher about seeing the "trash truck" that morning, and she couldn't get the word trash. But when I translated she said, "oh, you saw the garbage truck," so maybe she wasn't familiar with a trash truck. :-) He loves to use the adjectives big/little and colors to describe things. He's also using the word "heavy" a lot right now. Jason has him saying "awesome," but I've never heard it.
- Memory: he is already recounting old stories to us! Unfortunately the one he keeps telling this week is "Rachel bite my hand, right there." Ummm. . . .so what happened is that while shooting a video of him talking about the thunder on Thursday night, I distracted him and he held his grilled cheese sandwich away from his chair. So, she snagged it. I have video proof that she didn't really "bite" him per se (although her teeth probably snapped his fingers and she definitely got in trouble for being aggressive with him and stealing food).
- Singing: he loves The Wheels on the Bus and The Itsy Bitsy Spider, but, by far his favorite is doing actions to If You're Happy and You Know It. For some reason he thinks these actions should be performed while sitting on ball. It's absoultely hilarious! This is part of his before bed routine, which is one more reason why we can't get the lights out before 8!
- Loving: he's a great hugger and gives us kisses, too. We also hear an "I love you, TOO!" in response to our telling it to him. And we do love him so much!