Sunday, May 5, 2013

Field Museum

I recently found out that my company has corporate memberships at several Chicago museums which entitles employees and their families to free admission. Today we took advantage of free admission to the Field Museum!  This was the first visit for all of us. 
 
We got there right at lunch time, so we had lunch at the Corner Bakery (my father-in-law's favorite!) with a view of Sue the T-Rex before heading upstairs to tour the dinosaur exhibits.  
Will loved pushing buttons on any interactive display. I don't think he cared much about what the screen was showing; it was just about pushing the buttons as fast as he could.
 
He posed for this picture in front of Triceratops.  It was obvious we have watched Dinosaur Train on PBS and also have a few dinosaur books.  He was regularly referring back to dinosaurs he knew.   
The dinosaur fossils were very impressive, but Jason and I were blown away by this Giant Tree Sloth - an animal we never knew existed.
After dinosaurs, we went through Mammals of Asia and Africa (mostly stuffed specimens, including the Man Eaters of Tsavo lions) then saw an Egyptian burial tomb and mummies.  Unfortunately I mismanaged the clock and we missed the last entry to the kid's play lab area.  After that, only a trip to the gift shop for a trinket would compensate for the rapidly tiring little boy in our tour group.
I got this reluctant pose in front of Sue on our way out.  He's holding his new set of plastic dinosaurs and cargo truck.  Another $9.95 well spent. 
On our way back to the parking garage, I snapped this picture of Soldier Field where the Bears play.  The Museum Campus is one of the most beautiful areas of downtown.  It's tough not to love the city on days like this!