Work brought me to New York again this week, and for once I actually had some tourist time built into my schedule! My friend Emilie met me at my hotel in Midtown where we picked up Citibikes and took out for the west side. We have "rent-a-bike" in Chicago, too, (Divvy bikes) but I've never used them. This was a fun and easy way to get around the city -- especially on the streets with bike lanes!
We parked our bikes in Chelsea and walked along the High Line: a mile long walking path along a former rail line that serviced the warehouses along the river. (www.thehighline.org) The foilage is just growing up between the rail and ties. I think in this picture I was trying to get a picture of what looked like blueberries.We strolled along the path and took some cool pictures. With my back to the river, I could see the Empire State Building. We also stopped for a snack of "shave ice." There was a giant block of ice and the barista (for lack of a better word) took what looked like a woodworking tool and shaved off pieces to make our treats. I got Peach Basil and Emilie got Yellow Plum.
Check out that sunset! We were up there from around 7-9 so we got to see lots of beautiful views, including this one looking over to New Jersey. We had dinner at a "boat bar" called the Frying Pan. A really fun night out in the city!
On a sad note, I figured out the reason for all the emergency vehicles and hovering helicopter when I went to my meeting on Tuesday at 30 Rock. (I'm so used to the noise of the city that it didn't really faze me to see all of those things as I walked by. . . .) A cab jumped a curb and ran into a British tourist which took her leg. A horrible result from road rage apparently.