Saturday, August 3, 2013

Zoo Break

We took advantage of the beautiful weather today to make a quick trip to the zoo.  Will chose to go to Tropic World ("the monkeys") first.  However, he was distracted by the dinosaur at the fountain on our way there.  I knew he hadn't forgotten it was there, because we were talking about it yesterday.  We still haven't spent the money to do the Dino Alive exhibit.  I'll have to see how much longer it's there.  He was also sure to point out the "giant geyser" in the water.  Since our stay at Wilderness Lodge he has started calling big fountains geysers. 
The gorillas (like most of the animals) were trying to take naps.  We had a good view of this one stretched out on a limb.   The other little monkeys in this exhibit were fun to watch as they were busy grooming each other.  Since we had brushed Rachel right before leaving the house this morning it was a good comparison.  (Side note:  Will thinks unloading the dishwasher, feeding Rachel, and brushing Rachel are all great fun!  Let's hope this lasts for a few years so I don't have to start a chore chart!)
After Tropic World, we worked our way over the playground/picnic table area for a snack/light lunch that we packed.  First we stopped to see the bison roaming. 
Snacks and playtime, a trip through the Great Bear Wilderness where the polar bears were enjoying their pool, and then finally to his favorite giraffes.  I was shocked that he chose monkeys for our first stop today.  It is usually always the giraffes.  They have another new baby, but we really enjoyed watching this adult bend down for a drink of water. 
Another stop for ice cream and to finish lunch and then it was time to head home.  The zoo was warming up by then, and I needed to get to work.  A fun morning with the guys!