Sunday, May 22, 2016

London - Arrival Day

When I decided to go to India again, I knew the current favored route was O'Hare-Heathrow-Hyderabad.   Since we were going to have to stop at Heathrow anyway, a layover in London on the way home seemed like a great idea!  Michelle had been many years ago, but it was my first time!  I planned a packed three days of adventures for us!
 
Thanks to the time difference it was around 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon when we got to our hotel.  But it was 7:30 p.m. in Hyderabad, and even though we had just been sitting on a plane for 8+ hours, we were tired.   We napped and then got cleaned up for dinner near our hotel.  First stop was appetizers and cocktails at a place called Jamie's Bar - not to be confused with Jamie's Italian where we would eat two nights later.  We weren't very impressed with the menu, so jut ordered a few things with plans to eat more at our next stop:  30+ stories up at Shard.
We were able to grab at table in the bar area at Aqua Shard, but ended up only ordering drinks.  I don't remember if they didn't have food or if we didn't like the menu.   Our drinks were both inspired by the Queen's 90th birthday celebrations and had tea as an ingredient.   And considering they both costs about 20 pounds, I was happy to see they came in a bottle that had 2+ drinks in it!  The views across the Thames were amazing, and we got to see it before and after dark.  It was a great way to visualize the city before we went out exploring on Sunday.