Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day

For Mother's Day I requested a trip to the zoo with my guys to spend time together.   Luckily we got a beautiful day and amazing animal interactions to enjoy it!   On Friday, William brought home this hand-crafted envelope and card to accompany the picture/poem the teachers organized.  The words made me tear up; it just perfectly captures him - right here, right now. 
 





I am a kid.
I wonder how many gumballs can fit in the savannah.
I hear the wind blowing.
I see volcanoes.
I am a kid.
 
I pretend to be in the army.
I feel the ground shaking.
I touch my Nerf guns.
I worry about tornadoes.
I cry when my pet dog Rachel dies.
 
I understand math.
I always say army.
I dream about being in the army.
I try to stay strong.
I hope to get two kids.
I love my mom!
I am William.

I also spent Saturday going through the drawer of pictures/mementos/papers and found professional photos we have had taken on his birthday each year.  From top left:  1 year / 18 months/ 2 / 3/ 5 / 6.   We didn't do four year old pictures of him alone since we were at Disney World and on a Disney Cruise for his fourth birthday.  I have some regret about that whenever I find these annual pictures, but have good family photos from that year.

Finally, on to the zoo! We haven't had an annual pass for a few years, so haven't been recently.  This was a new experience since he can read the signs and knows so much about animals thanks to school, internet, and Wild Kratts on TV.  It was like having my own tour guide!   We had so many amazing animal encounters.  Two favorite were the male peacocks strutting and displaying their tail feathers and the sea lions swimming up to the glass windows.