Sunday, November 27, 2016

Thanksgiving & John's 40th Birthday

Not much happened between Halloween and Thanksgiving, since William was recovering from his sickness and then I got sick with pneumonia.   The week of Thanksgiving ended up being a real challenge.  I had already been home sick for a week - not moving except maybe from bed to couch - when we needed to vacate our house as part of the prep work for installing wood floors.  We hired out the demo of our tile floors (and the two layers of linoleum underneath).   We stayed in a Hilton Garden Inn for two nights.  I was expecting it to be a lot of fun with William and I swimming at the pool, etc, but I was stuck in bed (in the bedroom) the whole time watching hours and hours of Food Network when I couldn't sleep due to all the coughing, and John and William shared the pull out sleeper sofa in the living room. 
 
We returned home to finish preparations for Thanksgiving travel and to get our house ready for the wood floor installers coming the following week.  Mostly I still laid around.  William played video games on the little island of undisturbed family room.  And John tore out the baseboards and carpet and pad in all the rooms that didn't have tile.   Turns out half our family in Indiana was also sick with cold/flu/crud, so we postponed our travels one day.   That was good to help me get healthy.  But it was bad because we didn't have any appliances at our house except a microwave, since the rest were moved for the floor installers.   A wonderful friend ended up delivering us Thanksgiving dinner. . . .bringing over this gorgeous platter still hot as she was getting ready to serve her own family!  It was one of the first meals I had eaten in a week and it was the best Thanksgiving food I have ever had!  I need to get her recipe for those stuffing muffins.  Yum! 

We powered through at home until Friday morning then loaded up ourselves (and our laundry. .. another casualty of the flooring project) and drove to Indianapolis.  My meds finally kicked in on Saturday in time to enjoy John's 40th birthday celebration.   We went out with his siblings for an amazing steak dinner.  It was so nice to put on real clothes and make up after nearly two weeks of pajamas!  We had a great dinner and had fun catching up with everyone.