We had a small white elephant gift exchange at work in early December. The rule was to bring something that you had at home that you didn’t want there anymore. We spent an hour eating snacks in a conference room and exchanging the stories of the gifts. The best (or worst?) one was the person who brought in a box of old magazines – clearly meeting the requirement of something around home that you don’t want there anymore. Other gifts included a “Sweet Home Alabama” DVD, a pink “fur” purse (luckily, the co-worker with the 2-year old daughter got that one), multiple smelly lotions and potions, and an “As Seen on TV” miniature shaver.
We had an impromptu post-Christmas follow-up last week when one of my co-workers brought in the vanilla bath kit and a chocolate Santa figure (enjoyed by all once someone was willing to get it started). I walked away with a bath sponge and the ribbon tying together the cellophane. Once I realized what we were doing, I grabbed the white ceramic popcorn bowl that I received in the first gift exchange! (I had intended to leave it on my desk until I vacated this office. . . .in 2009.) It found a good home with someone who was thrilled to have it! And isn’t that the real purpose? Regifting is the ultimate environmental effort: finding someone who will use and enjoy the gift. It won’t sit around collecting dust or find its way to the landfill just yet.
I’m happy to report that I didn’t have to do any other regifting this holiday season (technically, there was one item, but I don’t believe that I fully accepted that gift since I never left with it. . . .) thanks to the practical and very well picked gift cards, food, and tickets that I received. I have actually started consuming/utilizing everything that I received for Christmas! Thanks to all!