Monday, January 28, 2008

State of the Union

A recurring theme in this blog is that somethings are a little different in Washington. The State of the Union address is one of those things. Besides just being an interruption to your Monday night TV schedule, it's an "event" for some people -- especially since so many lives revolve around government around here.

I read about bars that were having watch parties -- some with games like Lingo Bingo where you win once you can cross off the catch phrases. I've also heard of drinking games (you pick or are given a word or catch phrase and drink every time he says it), but I'd guess college poli sci majors have played that for a long time.

The little highlight for me was on my way home from work. Since it was already 8:30, I realized I would be in not mood to hit the gym when I got home. So, I walked an extra 5 blocks to get on Metro at the Archives-Navy Memorial stop on Pennsylvania Ave instead of the one right across from my office (because 7 minutes of cardio is better than 0). As I walked down Penn, there was a helicopter circling and police cars with lights flashing (but not sirens) ready to block the intersections. Traffic was still flowing, but it dawned on me that if I waited around another 20 minutes, I could see the presidential motorcade race down the street from the White House over to the Capitol. But, it was dark and late, so I just headed home. But, it would have been cool!

Since I have been here, I have seen one motorcade zip down Pennsylvania Ave. I was told to assume it's Dick Cheney on his way to a Senate vote. Supposedly it wasn't the President because he always has a trailing ambulance and it wasn't a foreign dignitary because there weren't flags flying off the limos.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I did watch the end of Bush's address once I got home. I was thrilled to hear that Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius would be delivering the Democrat's response following Bush's speech. I met her in person many times in my years working in Topeka while she was the Insurance Commissioner, and she's a beautiful and articulate woman. She didn't look or sound so great on HD TV, but her photo and comments looked good in the paper this morning. Hopefully most people just saw the latter.