Thursday, January 24, 2008

Not-So-Super Target

Not so much of a dig on Target as it is commentary on the retail curiosities of the east coast. There are a lot of goofy things about shopping out here -- liquor stores are run by the state ("the ABC Store") and sell only hard alcohol or Virginia sourced wines. Beer and wine are at the grocery store. And I've already discussed the lack of Taco Bell and Sonic.

Well, the Target stores are not Super Targets. They have a "pantry" area with some generic foodstuffs, but not the full fledged store. I don't know why this annoys me so much -- I didn't do much food shopping at Target before except to stock up every few months on Smart Ones frozen meals for $1.77 instead of Hy-Vee's $3. But, I've been on a search for the yummy Archer Farms hummus that my sister-in-law served at Thanksgiving and I can't find it.

I do have a half dozen different grocery store chains, natural food and gourmet food stores within 10 minutes drive that I can choose from, so I guess it's not that big of a hardship! I'm not sure if the Wal-Mart stores have the full food store or not, because that's a 15 minute drive that I don't intend to make. . . .

I was actually quite pleased with my recent trip to Target actually: I finally got that winter hat that I've been needing. Jason and I went to the mall on Sunday so I looked around there a little. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of looking at Nordstrom's. No, I don't need a $200 Juicy Couture stocking cap. . . .Instead, on Monday I got the winter closeout light blue cashmere hat at Target for $4.98! For good measure, I also got a cream colored knitted one since it was only $1.98. It's been really windy (and still cold) this week, so it's been nice to finally have the hat to keep my ears toasty!