Will went back to daycare first thing this morning. And he came home by mid-morning. No fever, but the teachers thought his mouth sores looked like HFMD (hand, foot, mouth disease - which is NOT the same as hoof-and-mouth disease), which apparently is very popular among little kids. Of course, I had never heard of it before then or I would have recognized the symptoms of fever, mouth sores, and hand and foot rash. I attributed it all to teething and the heat. Jason took him to the doctor for confirmation and a doctor's note that he can go back to daycare tomorrow since he hasn't have a fever since Sunday. Apparently the virus can stick around for months, so the rule is no fever. The mouth sores should go away in about a week.
No treatment except for comfort. Soft foods, cold liquids, no acidic fruits and veggies. Wish us luck that the sores don't get worse or hurt him much.