Friday, October 25, 2013

This is Four


I've been thinking a lot lately about how Will does so many things as a four-year-old that I wouldn't have imagined him knowing/doing already.  The baby stage certainly doesn't last long at all.  A few observations for my records:

  • Four is smart and confident and snuggly and ornery all wrapped into one.  He'll go into great detail about interesting topics - and does a fantastic job linking information together ("That's like the time we saw . . . ."), but he'll also tell us that he already brushed his teeth or washed his hands when you know he hasn't.  He also gets into trouble at school for being too rambunctious with some of his friends (Liam, Ryan and Blake are the current buddies).  And other times he gets kudos from his teachers for helping clean up or contributing during circle time.
  • Four is fearless.  (Of some things.)  We just transitioned to size 4T jeans; partly because the 3T were ankle length and partly because the 3Ts all had the knees worn through.  Will is frequently in motion, and some of his favorite things are to "swing high and fast" and to climb up and jump off of things.  Our bed is his current favorite.  Water slides were a huge hit all summer - as well as the diving board.
  •  Four is impatient.  (Well, so is 35.)  We went to the Children's Museum the other night and he wouldn't wait the five minutes for the reptile presentation to start.  He wanted to go back to his old standbys.  However, I also think he was scared about the unknown and what animals were hidden under the towels covering the cages.  So he's fearless about jumping off diving boards but scared of other things.  We've been talking about whether he wants to do the Jedi Training Academy on our next trip to Disney World where the little padawans "fight" Darth Vader.  Usually he says he'll be too scared.  But he can't wait for the roller coasters!
  • Four is active.  Will plays soccer with Happy Feet at school and takes swimming lessons (see "Car Wash" photo above for the after swim clean off).  I just signed him up for our first Saturday commitment ever:  indoor winter soccer.  It's a guaranteed shirt and medal; what's not for a kid to love? 
I'll be adding to the post over the next few days as I think of more things I want to remember about this age.