This week was the last day of Will's first session of gymnastics. He now has two weeks off while the gym moves to a new facility. The next session will run weekly until school starts in August. To be honest, I don't think gymnastics is the best value for the sports money for us, but I didn't want to stop after just one session. We'll see how this summer session goes and then reevaluate whether he continues or not, but he doesn't seem to learn as quickly as swimming or have as much fun as soccer.
My biggest complaints are that there is not enough focus on tumbling for this age group and that there is too much standing around. Will's boys only class is already trying all the men's gymnastic events like pommel horse, rings and vault. I want him to learn how to do cartwheels! I also want him to be moving during most of the class. Since they're working on the equipment, one boy works with the coach and the other 3 or 4 are usually causing a ruckus off to the side.
His score card:
FLOOR
My biggest complaints are that there is not enough focus on tumbling for this age group and that there is too much standing around. Will's boys only class is already trying all the men's gymnastic events like pommel horse, rings and vault. I want him to learn how to do cartwheels! I also want him to be moving during most of the class. Since they're working on the equipment, one boy works with the coach and the other 3 or 4 are usually causing a ruckus off to the side.
His score card:
FLOOR
- Cartwheel over block
- Forward roll down wedge
- Backward roll down wedge
- Jump to front support (needs improvement)
- Half circle concept on mushroom
- 5 swings at 45 degrees
- Tuck hung
- Inverted hang with assistance
- Stretch jump onto mat
- Stick landing from block
- 5 swings using block
- Tuck support hold (needs improvement)
- Jump to support 3 times on a low bar
- Swing with re-grasp (needs improvement)
- Hold chin over bar 3 seconds (needs improvement)