Sunday, April 26, 2009

36 Weeks

36 weeks down, 4 (or so) to go!

This has been a busy week of baby adventures. Thursday was my doctor's appointment. It was my last 2 week appointment (although it had been 3 weeks since my last appointment due to our Chicago travel) and now I will go weekly.

The doctor confirmed my belief that the baby had "dropped" while we were in Chicago. He said the baby's head is engaged. I didn't feel the baby drop. I just noticed that the shape of my belly had changed dramatically and that there weren't feet in my ribs any longer!

Baby's heartbeat and my blood pressure were both good. I've gained 24 pounds, which is fine. He cautioned that any additional weight gain should be from healthy food and to stay away from the sweets in this last month. Otherwise, the baby may gain 1 pound per week instead of 1/2 pound per week, and I'd have to deliver a much bigger baby. Seems like pretty good motivation to avoid the donuts!

Yesterday we had our childbirth class at the hospital. We opted for the single, full day instead of classes for several evenings. It was exhausting (particularly since it was 90 degrees outside and felt nearly that warm inside the classroom - hence my "worn" look in the picture from last night)! I even got a slight sunburn on my arms at lunch when we ate at our cafeteria salads outside. The class was good and gave us lots to think about. The best part was practicing different massage techniques! My back was so happy! I think we need to practice those quite a bit more in the next few weeks before we need them during labor.

Unfortunately we got home last night and our air-conditioner wasn't working. It's 90 degrees again today, and we have no fans, so we're making due with the breeze coming in from outside and a propped open front door to draw in the building's cold air. Hopefully our landlord can send someone over tomorrow to fix it.