We stayed at the smallest of the moderate resorts: Port Orleans French Quarter. The hotel property was nice, and our room was fantastically located overlooking a river and near the pool and main building. We learned our lesson in May about trying to get to Orlando too early on travel day and wearing out. This trip we took it easy and got there late afternoon with our only plans being to swim and get a late dinner. The swimming lasted all of 20 minutes since it was only in the 70s; overcast; and windy. Will and I each did a few trips down the dragon slide and then we went to the food court for a snack of beignets.
My great plan was to bus to the Magic Kingdom and then take the monorail to the Grand Floridian for a late dinner. Unfortunately the resort monorail was shut down due to a switch problem. We ended up taking a ferry from the park to the hotel. When I booked the trip and the restaurant reservations, I was hoping the deluxe resorts would already be decorated for Christmas. Although the hotel had their Gingerbread House up, the rest of the resort wasn't decorated yet. None of the hotels really were, and only Magic Kingdom had up a lot of decorations. The other parks had giant Christmas trees, but no other decorations that I really noticed. I think this next week leading up the Thanksgiving is when the transformation happens.
After dinner, we walked to the Polynesian Resort and sat on lounge chairs on its beach to watch the evening fireworks at Magic Kingdom. It was just as beautiful as I was hoping!
Our ride back to our hotel was less beautiful, as it took over and hour and two buses to get there. At least we didn't have to get up too early on Friday morning!
My great plan was to bus to the Magic Kingdom and then take the monorail to the Grand Floridian for a late dinner. Unfortunately the resort monorail was shut down due to a switch problem. We ended up taking a ferry from the park to the hotel. When I booked the trip and the restaurant reservations, I was hoping the deluxe resorts would already be decorated for Christmas. Although the hotel had their Gingerbread House up, the rest of the resort wasn't decorated yet. None of the hotels really were, and only Magic Kingdom had up a lot of decorations. The other parks had giant Christmas trees, but no other decorations that I really noticed. I think this next week leading up the Thanksgiving is when the transformation happens.
After dinner, we walked to the Polynesian Resort and sat on lounge chairs on its beach to watch the evening fireworks at Magic Kingdom. It was just as beautiful as I was hoping!
Our ride back to our hotel was less beautiful, as it took over and hour and two buses to get there. At least we didn't have to get up too early on Friday morning!