Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Sort of Healthy Recipe that Tastes Great

I was looking online yesterday for a zucchini bread recipe that was semi-nutritious and found this one that I edited just slightly. I highly recommend it; I have no pictures because we ate up one loaf and the second had to be wrapped away for Thanksgiving before it tempted us!

Banana Zucchini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bread
Dry ingredients:
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup oats (I used my Quaker quickoats)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Wet ingredients:
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce (this is the amount in a snack cup)
3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
Other ingredients:
2 cups zucchini, grated, with excess water squeezed out
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl and set aside. In large bowl or mixer bowl, beat eggs. Add the rest of the wet ingredients to eggs and mix. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients at a time into the wet mixture and mix until incorporated. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Bake for 45-50 minutes in two loaf pans that have been sprayed with Pam.
I covered my pans lightly with foil for the last 10 minutes since the loaves were getting dark on top.